Asia Financial Markets Explained - Season 3 (Oct 2022 - Sep 2023)
This exciting training program consists of a Series of monthly interactive educational training sessions on key emerging topics relevant to the financial industry in Asia, delivered by expert trainers drawn from our extensive global and regional network.
The Training Series is aimed at getting junior and intermediate employees up to speed on key emerging areas in financial markets within Asia (potentially also useful for senior professionals)
Learn from Global and Asian industry experts and senior representatives from our network of leading financial institutions from both the buy and sell side, including banks, asset managers, law firms, market infrastructure providers and consultancies who have been specifically selected for their knowledge and skills by our staff and related member committees.
By curating relevant, up to date information together into one Series, with the active support of our wide industry network and expert committees, participants will be confident they are learning from a source accredited by the industry that utilizes expert trainers from leading institutions globally and regionally.
TRAINING SERIES INFORMATION
What will you get from this Training Series?
- Series of monthly interactive training sessions on key emerging topics relevant to the Asian financial industry.
- Delivered by expert trainers from our network of leading Financial Institutions, participants will be confident they are learning from a source recognised by the industry
- Aimed at getting junior and intermediate employees up to speed on emerging areas in financial markets within Asia (potentially also useful for senior professionals)
Our full list of topics is below (although these are subject to change if more relevant topics emerge over the year). See below for further details.
- Sustainable Finance / ESG in Asia (27 Oct 2022)
- Inflation, Interest Rates and Market Volatility (17 Nov 2022)
- China Financial Markets Explained – Accessing and Operating in China (6 Dec 2022)
- The Trend Towards Deglobalisation (17 Jan 2023)
- Data, Privacy and Artificial Intelligence (16 Feb 2023)
- Cryptocurrencies and Stablecoins (6 Mar 2023)
- India Financial Markets Explained (20 Apr 2023)
- Carbon Markets (22 May 2023)
- China Financial Markets Explained – The Markets (13 Jun 2023)
- Operational Resilience and Cybersecurity (6 Jul 2023)
- Regulatory Developments – What You Should Know (Aug 2023)
- Tokenization and Other DLT Uses (Sep 2023)
• For bulk registrations (10+ participants, non-transferrable) or corporate licenses (20+ participants, transferrable), special fees will be offered. Please refer to the Bulk Registration Form below for details.
24/7 access to our Learning Management System (LMS)
Training sessions from Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) with years of experience in the industry
Get a Certificate when you finish the course (conditions apply)
TRAINING SESSION DETAILS
Sustainable Finance / ESG in Asia
October 27, 2022 (Thursday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Saskia Kort-Chick, Senior Vice President, Director of ESG Research and Engagement, Responsible Investing, AllianceBernstein
101 – Definition and Origins of ESG and Sustainability:
- The origins of responsible investing
- Screening vs ESG vs Sustainability: what are the differences and benefits of various approaches?
- Size and drivers of the market
- Gabriel Wilson-Otto, Head of Sustainable Investing Strategy, Fidelity International
The Changing Regulatory Framework:
- How the approach and focus of ESG regulation has changed over the last 20 years
- Key regulatory frameworks shaping the asset management industry
- Outlook for disclosure regulation and the potential for harmonization
- Thijs Aaten, CEO, APG Asset Management Asia
ESG Investment Strategies and Challenges:
- How do asset managers invest sustainability?
- What are the challenges that investors face?
- Different investment strategies
Inflation, Interest Rates and Market Volatility
November 17, 2022 (Thursday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Adarsh Sinha, Managing Director, Co-Head of Asia FX & Rates Strategy, BofA Securities
- What got us here? Post-2008 policy, low inflation, multiple supply shocks since 2020
- Key drivers of market volatility
- Implications for the rest of Asia
China Financial Markets Explained: Accessing and Operating in China
December 6, 2022 (Tuesday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Charles Chang, Greater China Country Lead, Corporates, S&P Global Ratings
- China Market Access – Inbound
- Intro to China’s domestic bond market
- Market access: foreign participation, trading venues, access schemes
- Market risks
- Kristy Tang, Counsel, Fangda Partners
- China Market Access – Outbound
- Intro to offshore investment by Chinese institutions
- Different outbound schemes
- Features and Participants
- Senan Yuen, Head of Investment, China, Fidelity International
- Operating in China – Opportunities and Considerations for Foreign Firms
- Wholly owned onshore asset manager businesses in China
- Market opportunities and observations
The Trend Towards Deglobalisation
January 17, 2023 (Tuesday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Louis Kuijs, APAC Chief Economist, S&P Global Ratings
- The Current Push for Deglobalization and Its Implications
- Rapid globalization in the 1990s and 2000s
- Recent and current headwinds to globalization and their impact
- Empirical evidence so far and outlook
- David Wolber, Of Counsel, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
- The Impact of Trade Sanctions, Export Controls and Other National Security-based Regulation on Deglobalization
- Overview of significant regulatory developments in recent years
- Risks posed to global business
- De-risking and ‘over-compliance’
Data, Privacy and Artificial Intelligence
February 16, 2023 (Thursday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Ewan McAllan, Head of Information Management & Privacy, Morgan Stanley
- 101 – Why Data Matters?
- Why data matters to you
- Why it matters to Financial services – some use cases
- How these use cases drive data management
- Kieran Donovan, Partner, Data & Technology Transactions Practice, Latham & Watkins
- Data Privacy and Cross-border Issues – The Current Landscape
- Update on key developments in cross-border data flows across key APAC markets
- Market intelligence on cybersecurity review under the PRC’s new data laws
- Case study: managing cross border transfers in 2023 for regulated entities
- Chris Barford, Partner, Financial Services Consulting, Ernst & Young
- Artificial Intelligence in Financial Markets – Uses and Challenges
- Examples of AI use cases in financial services
- The ethical and data privacy challenges on the use of AI
- Regulatory expectations around data and AI
Cryptocurrencies and Stablecoins
March 6, 2023 (Monday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Julien Riposo, Manager, Index Research, FTSE Russell
- What is blockchain? What are cryptocurrencies? Is there a future for stablecoins?
- The concept of blockchain
- Illustration through a Proof-of-Work protocol
- Notion of stability and robustness of Bitcoin
- System for cryptocurrencies
- Potential applications of stablecoins in the future
- Possibility for any institution to prove its solvency
- Willy Lim, Solutions Architect and Global Advisory Lead – Digital Currencies and Capital Markets, R3
- What do stablecoins offer?
- Purpose, role and features of stablecoins
- Types and classifications of stablecoins - area of risks and how it is mitigated
- How stablecoins work in practice
- Evolution from cryptocurrency marketplace to traditional finance
- Current state of views from various regulators
India Financial Markets Explained
- Philippe Dirckx, Managing Director – Head of Fixed Income, ASIFMA
- Macroeconomics of India Financial Markets
- Fixed Income Markets
- Basava Rao, Leader, Nishith Desai
- Accessing India Markets
- Various entry routes into India for foreign investors
- Hiren Sanghvi, Managing Director & Head – Trading, Global Markets, HSBC India
- FX Markets
- Regulatory landscape for FX – INR as managed float currency
- FX interbank market – Size, Product, Players
- FX hedging market & key guidelines
- Recent developments in Indian FX markets
- Mihir Shah, Director, Equity Sales & Trading, BofA Securities India
- Equities Markets
- Numbers and stats at a glance
- Trading Participants Dynamics
- Index Composition and India in the EM context
- What’s transpired in 2023 and what are things to look out for
May 22, 2023 (Monday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Dafei Huang, Executive Director, FICC, Green Finance Specialist, CICC
- How Carbon Markets Have Developed
- Why carbon trading is chosen as an instrument by the governments to deliver their net zero targets?
- What are the different types of carbon markets?
- How do they work and interact?
- Who are leading the latest standardized products?
- Miles Binney, Counsel, Clifford Chance
- Voluntary Carbon Markets in Asia
- How are voluntary carbon credits traded?
- What are some the of key challenges to further developing voluntary carbon markets?
- What are some of the notable initiatives and market developments for voluntary carbon markets?
China Financial Markets Explained: The Markets
June 13, 2023 (Tuesday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Lyndon Chao, Managing Director – Head of Equities and Post Trade, ASIFMA
- Equity Markets in China
- Primary Market
- STAR Board / Chinext
- Registration based IPO Reform
- Overseas Listing Trial Framework
- Secondary Market
- Overview: Exchanges, ID Market vs Omnibus, DVP
- Different Channels for Investing in A Shares - QFI vs. Connect
- MSCI A Share inclusion
- Primary Market
- Kimi Liu, International Partner, He Ping Law Firm
- Bond Markets in China
- China Inter-bank Bond Market and exchange markets – difference and inter-connection
- Convenient access by international participants to China’s bond market, such as QFI, Direct Access and Bond Connect
- Latest developments - Swap Connect
- Eden Piao, Global Emerging Markets, China Local Markets Trading, Deutsche Bank (China) Limited
- FX Markets in China
- Evolution of RMB FX regime & key events for RMB
- The impact of “8·11 Reform” in 2015
- Onshore and offshore market correlations
- Outlook on RMB FX market
Operational Resilience and Cybersecurity
July 6, 2023 (Thursday), 12pm - 1pm HKT
- Hannah Cassidy, Partner, Head of Financial Services Regulatory, Asia, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Richard Wong, Head of Cyber Governance, Macquarie Group
- Vignesh Karthic, Senior Vice President, APAC Head, Business Continuity and Recovery, Corporate Risk Management, Northern Trust
- What is Operational Resilience and Regulators' Expectations
- Operational Resilience Industry Implementation and Challenges
- Zoom In on Cybersecurity as One of the Key Pillars of Operational Resilience
Regulatory Developments: What You Should Know
- 101 - Key Global regulatory developments
- Key Asia regulatory developments
- How the finance sector needs to change
Tokenization and Other DLT Uses
- 101 –Introduction to Distributed Ledger Technology
- Tokenisation – uses in markets
- Using DLT for processes
TRAINING SESSION FORMAT
Interactive Live Sessions + Online Learning Management System (LMS)
- Interactive virtual live training session (over Zoom) of 60 mins in English
- Introduction to the topic in a dynamic format, including use of polling, Q&A and surveys
- Exclusive access to our Learning Management System containing educational resources for each topic, including session presentation provided by the trainers, background materials and videos on-demand and presenter profiles
Accreditation and Certification
Certificates and CPT/CPD Points
- ASIFMA is an Approved Recognized Institution for Providing Continuous Professional Training (“CPT”) by the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC). SFC CPT hours will be available for those located in Hong Kong for live Zoom session attendance.
- Live Zoom session attendance counts as CPD activity for holders of HKMA Enhanced Competency Framework certifications with relevant job roles.
- ASIFMA will also be seeking CPT accreditation in other jurisdictions.
- Those who attend at least 8 live webinar sessions will be issued with an electronic Certificate at the end of the series.